Subscribe to my Real Estate Articles.
Have a suggestion for an article you would like to read?
Carbon Monoxide can be a killer, and more so when it's in your home. You'll never smell it or see it, and by the time you realize it's in your home, it's often too late. CO (Carbon Monoxide) is something that accumulates in your blood very quickly and can lead to death. Death results because oxygen is not being carried through your bloodstream.
CO in your air is caused by burning fuels in order to heat your home. Major appliances that use propane, wood, natural gas, kerosene or coal can all produce high CO levels in your home. There are a number of things that you can do, that will help to prevent build up problems from these dangerous chemicals and keep your home safe.
Chimneys and exhaust vents in your house need to be debris free at all times in order to prevent any build up. Birds nesting in your chimney are one of the most often found problems, and they can very easily prevent CO from escaping your home. This can lead to a dangerous build up of this chemical and can result in death. It's important to schedule regular maintenance of your chimney or exhaust vents at regular intervals. Besides reducing your risk of poisoning from CO, they help your wood stoves, fireplaces and furnace to operate at full capacity. Operating at full capacity in Ontario is important in the winter months especially when you live in Collingwood, Wasaga Beach and Thornbury.
We all know not to let our automobiles warm up in a garage that is closed, but it's important to remember that lawnmowers, snow blowers and generators in a closed garage are just as dangerous. All of these are used through different seasons in the Blue Mountain, Wasaga Beach and Thornbury CO can actually enter your home through doorways and seep through walls where it then enters your home, and within an extremely short time can reach poisonous levels. It's important to make sure you never barbeque in the garage area during the wintertime, unless you're going to open the garage door. No matter how fast you think it will take, it still provides an opportunity for CO to enter your home.
Never try to save money, or think you know enough to attempt to do your own home maintenance. Always use the services of a qualified technician. Technicians are trained in all aspect of maintenance, and they can assure you that your venting is working correctly, which in the long run will save you money on heating or air conditioning costs. This also applies if you are considering enclosing your water heater or furnace. There must be adequate air flow around these in order to prevent explosions.
Last, but not least, be sure to buy and install a CO detector in different areas of the house and make sure you maintain it to the standards set out in the instruction manual.
It's important to consider these things in your own home, but if you have elderly parents or married children, make sure that they are aware of the dangers as well.
The Collingwood Fire Department offers a number of different resources that can help you prepare for any emergency. Visit their website and print some of their brochures for you and your loved ones.